When in need of a light, protein packed meal, this tomato quinoa soup will be sure to satisfy your needs. It's flavored with a delicious combination of fennel and shallots and jam packed with proteins like pumpkin seeds and quinoa. It's also a great meal to make a large amount of so that you can save the soup for the next day, or to take as lunch for you and your kids.
- 1 c. red or white quinoa
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 2 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 c. lower-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ c. roasted salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tbsp. snipped fresh chives
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- Cook quinoa as label directs.
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat butter and oil on medium until butter melts. Add shallots, garlic, and fennel seeds. Cook 4 to 6 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and broth. Heat to simmering on high. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. With immersion or regular blender, purée mixture until smooth. Reheat soup if necessary.
- In medium bowl, combine cooked quinoa, pepitas, chives, and red pepper. Serve soup topped with quinoa mixture.
Recipe from Good Housekeeping