Selecting the right color palette for your bedroom can be a stressful decision, but it doesn’t have to be. From your walls and trimmings to your bedding and accessories, if you stick to a few hard and fast rules, you’ll be just fine.
- Stay With Colors You Genuinely Love: Even though there are thousands of shades in the spectrum, there are only seven actual colors. It helps to narrow your choices down to a few main colors before entering the mind-numbing array of hues and shades in a furniture or paint store. Architectural consultant Bonnie Krims suggests narrowing down your choices by picking already existent colors in your home that you find comforting. “Take a pillow from the family-room sofa, your favorite tie or scarf, or a painting—anything that conveys comfort or has an emotional connection for you—and take that object to the paint store, or online shopping with you," says Krims.
- Be Color Courageous: "The world is divided into two groups—the color courageous and the color cowardly," says New York color marketing consultant Ken Charbonneau. "People who live in colorful interiors have gotten over the fear of making a mistake." Bright and vibrant colors uplift the soul and keep things interesting – don’t be a color coward!
- Take a Cue from Your Clothing: Most people put a good amount of thought into what colors look good on them, clothing-wise. Do you constantly wear that denim jacket? How about some royal blue or navy sheets, then. Do you rock bright yellow accessories with your summer outfits? Perhaps a confident hot pink or yellow bedding set, then. Your closet can reveal a lot about what colors you feel most comfortable and at home in.
- When in Doubt, Rely on the Timeless Combinations: If you’re still really struggling to find those perfect few colors for your bedroom, return to the classic basics. Cool shades of blue on the walls with clean white sheets, warm golden hues with welcoming gray bedding, or picking one color, and experimenting with different shades of that color throughout the room, such as lavender sheets, purple accents, and orchid walls.
- Try and Test, Mix and Match: With companies such as Mellanni Fine Linens making extremely comfortable, durable, and easy to care for sheets at such affordable prices, there’s no excuse to not try a few different colors, and even mix and match; how about pink sheets with yellow pillow cases, or grey sheets with coral pillows? The possibilities are endless.